G.W. Bransom is a native of Appanoose county, Iowa, born in 1847, son of Benjamin and Patsy (Wood) Bransom, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Illinois. When G.W. Bransom was about three years of age the family came to Texas, settling in Dallas county. In 1853 they removed to this county, where the father died in 1882. The mother died in 1857. They had a family of nine children, all of whom grew to maturity except three.
The subject of this sketch was married in 1870 to Miss E.J. Warren, daughter of William N. Warren. The same year he purchased ninety-eight acres of land in the cross timbers, then unimproved. He now owns between 500 and 600 acres, the most of which is improved, and about 380 acres of which is under an excellent state of cultivation. He also operates two sixty-saw gins, and does a big business in that line. He is a prominent Democrat of this county, is a member of Caddo Grove blue lodge, and is Secretary; also, a member of Royal Arch, at Cleburne. He also belongs to the Farmers' Alliance. Mrs. Bransom is a member of the Baptist Church. Ten children were born to the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Bransom, viz.: Benjamin W.; Mary T,; James A.; Samuel H.; Ida Daisy and Mittie M., twins; Effie J.; Guss Robert; Charles O., deceased; and George E. Mr. Bransom is classed among the prominent and enterprising farmers of Johnson county.
P.H. Goodloe, a merchant at Burleson, Johnson county, was born in Gibson county, Tennessee, in 1836, a son of R.H. and N.L. (Baldredge) Goodloe, also natives of Tennessee. The mother died in that State in 1852, and the following year the family came to Ellis county, Texas, where the father died in 1883, at the age of sixty-seven years.
Our subject remained in the latter county until the breaking out of the war, during which time he was engaged in surveying in the Pan-Handle portion of the State, locating private certificates. That county was the thick with buffaloes and Comanche Indians, and Mr. Goodloe saw pioneer life in earnest. He was with Colonel James E. Patton, the pioneer land locator of Texas, who was his step-grandfather. In the spring of 1861 Mr. Goodloe entered Company E, Twelfth Texas Cavalry, Parsons' regiment, and served in the Trans-Mississippi department. He was in this command through the entire war, and the last two years had charge of the Ordnance Department. He was in the battles of Oak Hills, Yellow Bayon, Cotton Plant and Blair's Landing; was in a continuous fight thirty-six days on Red river, and had five bullet-holes shot through his clothes, but was never wounded! He returned home in July, 1865, and during the winter of 1866 was engaged there and at other points on the Central railroad three years. In 1882 he came to Burleson, Johnson county, and was the second man to start business in this place. He carries a general line of merchandise, having a stock of about $7,000, and does an annual business of about $25,000. In the last year he shipped about 750 bales of cotton and fifteen or twenty cars of wheat. He also owns a fine farm of 160 acres adjoining the town. He is a charter member of Chadelo (sic) Grove (Masonic) Lodge, a member of the Royal Arch Lodge of Cleburne, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church.
Mr. Goodloe married Miss Bettie J. Haskins, of Ellis county, and a daughter of Thomas J. and _____ (Meek) Haskins, pioneers of Ellis county. Mr. and Mrs. Goodloe are the parents of four children: Clara M., wife of Prof. A.P. Thomas, of Alvarado; Harry R., a resident of this county; Beulah, who is now fourteen years of age; and Oscar, nine years old. Mr. Goodloe has been in 120 different counties in Texas, but believes Johnson county to be equal to any in the State.
James Pickett, a physician and surgeon of Johnson county, was born in Barbour county, Alabama, December 10, 1853, a son of Charles Pickett, who was born in Chester district, South Carolina, February 23, 1823. The latter was reared on a farm in Sumter county, Georgia, and in 1846 he removed to Enfaula, Alabama. He received his medical education at the Reformed Medical College of Georgia, after which he practiced his profession in Barbour county, Alabama. In 1866 he moved to Prairie county, Arkansas, in 1869 to Waxahatchie (sic), Ellis county, Texas, in 1871 to Johnson county, and in 1882 to Burleson, same county. On account of ill health he abandoned his profession in 1885, and is now living a retired life. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a member of the Methodist Church South for about forty years.
The subject of this sketch began life for himself as a school-teacher in Ellis and Tarrant counties, and later was engaged as clerk in a dry-goods and grocery store for W.L. West, a sketch of whom appears in this work. During this time he was also studying medicine, and in 1878 he began practicing under a State licence. In March, 1882, he graduated at the Vanderbilt University of Nashville, Tennessee, after which he returned to Johnson county and engaged in practice at Burleson. On account of his wife's health Dr. Pickett removed to his farm in 1890, where he has over 200 acres, 110 acres of which is under a fine state of cultivation.
The Doctor was married February 4, 1883, to Miss Permelia, a daughter of Major William N. Warren, a native of Missouri. He was a Major in the Confederate army, and later represented his people in the Legislature of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Pickett have four children: Eula C., Charles W., Anna L. and Gustavus E. The Doctor is a member of the Farmer's Alliance and of the Democratic party, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
A Memorial and Biographical History of Johnson and Hill Counties, Texas." Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1892.